throughout the British Isles
The information below was
to a great extent compiled for the National Federation of
Far Eastern Prisoner of War Clubs and Associations (NFFCA)
from the Inventory of War Memorials held by the Imperial War
Museum, Lambeth Road, London SE1 6HZ.
originally erected outside Changi Cemetery. At the end of
the war it was moved to St George's Garrison Church at Tanglin.
When our forces moved out of Singapore in 1971 it was moved
to Britain and in September 1972 was erected at it's present
site at Bassingbourn to the memory of the 18th East Anglia
Division. Organised by the Cambridge Yasume Club.
The Changi Lychgates have now been moved
for the last time, to take up their permanent resting place
in the National Memorial Arboretum at the entrance to the
Royal Victoria Park
Tree and stone plaque unveiled in December 1985. The standard
of the Bath and West FEPOW Club was received into Bath Abbey
in May 1986.
Bark Maple tree and plaque planted and dedicated by COFEPOW
on 13th February 2000.
Town Green, Bromsgrove
The FEPOW plaque is placed on the base of a tall brick and
slate column which also commemorates the Burma Campaign. It
was unveiled in May 1982. Nearby is a seat in memory of the
founder and president of the Birmingham FEPOW Association,
F.C. (Pat) de Paeztron. It is inscribed 'Yasume' - rest awhile.
St Martin's-in-the-Bull Ring
Memorial plaque unveiled and dedicated 14th February 1993
by the Birmingham FEPOW Association.
St John's Church
Welsh slate plaque in Memorial Chapel inscribed - TO THE SACRED
MEMORY OF THOSE WHO SUFFERED AS PRISONERS OF WAR IN THE FAR
EAST and brass gates dedicated - TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN
GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE 137TH (A) FIELD REGIMENT RA TA (THE
BLACKPOOL REGIMENT) WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE 1939-45 WAR.
St Peter ad Vincula
Circular marble plaque with painted FEPOW badge and brass
plaque inscribed - TO THE MEMORY OF ALL WHO DIED AS PRISONERS
OF WAR IN THE FAR EAST 1941-45 OR SINCE.
Organised by the North Essex FEPOW Association.
Derby War Memorial Village
Tree and stone erected by the Derby and District FEPOW Association.
St Nicholas Church
A memorial book commemorating the men of East Dereham who
died during the Second World War was restored in 1988 by the
Dereham and District FEPOW Association as a memorial to all
who died in Japanese POW camps.
St Giles Cathedral
Commemorative Chair, designed at Edinburgh College of Art,
presented by the Scottish FEPOW Association and dedicated
on 13 February 1972.
Rowan tree and granite plaque planted on 25 August 1988 by
feet tower with clock and bronze map of South East Asia on
each side. Erected by the Great Yarmouth FEPOW Association.The
memorial was renovated in 2004 and it was re-dedicated at
a ceremony in November of that year.
Halifax Parish Church
Bamboo Cross made by Mr G Wilkinson mounted on oak base. It
is situated on the Memorial of The 4th Battalion Duke of Wellington
Regiment and was dedicated on 10 November 1985. The Memorial
was organised by the Halifax FEPOW Association.
HANLEY, NORTH STAFFORDSHIRE
A plaque commemorating all those who served and died in the
Far East was added to the town's war memorial, a striking
bronze 'Britannia' which was originally unveiled in 1922.
and tree erected in 1985 and 1986, organised by the West Essex
and South Herts FEPOW Association.
Beech tree and seat dedicated on 3rd December 1987. It commemorates
the 161/196 Field Ambulance RAMC who died as POWs in the Far
St Matthew's Parish Church
A black slate and marble shield on the south interior wall,
organised by the Ipswich and District FEPOW Fellowship. It
was dedicated on 21 November 1992 by Rev Canon R Godfrey (an
ex-FEPOW) and Canon Wells.
ISLE OF WIGHT
Ventnor, Botanic Garden
Oak tree and black slate plaque unveiled on 24 October 1989,
organised by the Isle of Wight FEPOW Association.
St Margaret's Church
Bronze crucifix depicting the Warrior Christ and designed
by local architect Colin Shewring, dedicated on 15 August
1965. Organised by the Kings Lynn FEPOW Association.
LARKHILL nr SALISBURY
The Royal Artillery Church: The Garrison Church of St Alban
The Sandakan Memorial Plaque is situated to the rear of the
church and was dedicated on 18 April 1999. It was erected
on the instigation of John Bessant, Geoffrey Threadgold and
Bryan Knutton. Bryan Knutton also designed the plaque.
Park bench donated by the Leicestershire and District FEPOW
Association and dedicated on 15 August 1985 following a church
service attended by the Lord Lieutenant and Lord Mayor.
St Martin in the Fields, Westminster
The memorial comprises an inscribed plaque and a bronze and
glass case in which are placed two blocks of teak being parts
of sleepers from the Burma/Siam Railway which was built with
Danson Park, Bexleyheath
Oak trees and bronze plaque which includes the Pacific Star,
the Burma Star and the FEPOW Association badge. It was unveiled
in November 1985.
Mossley Hill Hospital
Rest room with brass plaque in grounds erected in 1956 by
the Merseyside FEPOW Association.
Dunston Hill Hospital
Rose garden with nameplates of deceased POWs. Seat donated
by Newcastle FEPOW Association to hospital staff. Also Cherry
tree planted to commemorate VJ Day, in August 1985.
Companions Club, Leazes Park Road, Newcastle
Tablet to commemorate those who died whilst in captivity and
those who have since died. Both these memorials were organised
by the Newcastle and District FEPOW Association.
St Peter Mancroft
Welsh stone plaque with FEPOW badge unveiled and dedicated
on 15 February 1987. It is inscribed - IN MEMORY OF THE MANY
COMRADES WHO DID NOT RETURN OR WHOSE LIVES WERE SHORTENED
BY THE CONDITIONS OF THEIR CAPTIVITY AND IN COMMEMORATION
OF THE SERVICES OF PRAYER AND THANKSGIVING HELD HERE FOR THE
NORWICH FELLOWSHIP OF PRISONERS OF WAR 1942-1987.
and plaque planted and dedicated by COFEPOW in October 1998.
St Peter's Church
Located inside the church is a striking bronze plaque depicting
the Last Supper. It was made locally and funded by the Nottingham
and District FEPOW Association.
Rowan tree and plaque of Cornish granite with bronze plate,
situated in garden of remembrance outside St Andrew's Church
in the City centre. It was unveiled on 15 August 1985 by the
lord Mayor of Plymouth and is the focal point for all Remembrance
services held by ex - Far East Prisoners of War.
British Red Cross HQ, Northlands Road
Memorial garden and Dawycch Beech tree organised by the Southampton
and District FEPOW Association and dedicated in June 1984.
A memorial to all who have died and a token of appreciation
for the work done by the Red Cross Society for POWs.
The Yasume Club of South Shields make an annual prize to the
best student of the year attending the Pharmacy Department
of Sunderland Polytechnic in memory of their first President
Major Murdock MacKenzie MBE, TD. At Sunderland Museum a memorial
commemorates members of The 125 Anti-Tank Regiment RA who
died during the Second World War. Many of the Club's members
belonged to the 125.
Oak tree planted at the central point of the area covered
by North Yorkshire and South Durham FEPOW Association. Unveiled
and dedicated on 28 October 1983.
A tree and plaque were dedicated in August 1985 by the Swaffham
and Watton FEPOW Association.
St Mary's Church
A Union Jack made in a POW camp in the Far East and used for
several burial services of British troops. The white was made
from the loincloths worn by prisoners, the blue from the bottom
of mosquito nets used only by Japanese officers and camp guards,
the red from the lining of straw hats worn by native Indonesian
troops. At the cessation of hostilities the flag was attached
to a pole and used in a march past and salute taken by Captain
S Armstrong, President of the South West Wales FEPOW Club
and donor of the flag.
In the grounds of the church is an oak tree and plaque, planted
to commemorate VJ Day in July 1985.
A large bookcase was presented to the hospital by Harold Leigh,
a Newport flour magnate, and dedicated by South Wales FEPOWs
in the late 1950s. A donation of £1,000was to be used
for the purchase of medical books on tropical diseases.
Thetford Grammar School
2001 after a service of remembrance at the school there was
a ceremonial planting of a Foxglove Tree to honour the memory
of the FEPOW Old Boys featured in the service. The tree had
been chosen by the school by ballot following a display of
the most suitable trees by members of the Environment Club.
A rose garden, marble plaque and seat was unveiled on 7 May
1986 by Lt Col Dr JH Walters. The memorial was erected by
the Torbay FEPOW Club.
Church of St Peter and St Paul
White marble and black slate tablet erected by the Singapore
Club Wisbech and unveiled in October 1985. The memorial symbolises
the daily life of a prisoner during captivity and was designed
by Brian A Krill.
This memorial was unveiled to commemorate those who died in
the First World War and was unveiled in 1919. It is a large
stone cenotaph with a surmounting cross and clock face on
each side. The names of Second World War casualties were subsequently
added. Woburn Sands and District FEPOW Association use this
memorial as the focus of their remembrance services.
York Minster, North Transept
Black slate plaque with gold lettering unveiled on 1 October
1986 by the Dean of York and organised by the York and District