Ambon War Cemetery is situated on the island of Ambon which forms part of the Molucca Group of Islands. During the time of the Japanese invasion these islands were commonly known as the "Spice Islands"
Ambon is a small island and the cemetery is north of Ambon Town It was sited on a former POW camp, which held prisoners of mixed nationalities, including British, Australian and Dutch.
The prisoners were taken to Ambon, many from Java, to construct an airstrip, but it was heavily bombed by Allied Forces in 1943 and 1944. POW's were buried in various camps throughout the island, but were later removed and reburied in the war cemetery. The remains of those buried on Haruku were also transferred to Ambon..
But the cemetery also contains the graves of Australian servicemen who died during the Japanese invasion on Ambon and Timor. It also contains the graves of those who died within the region of Celebes and the Molucca Group of Islands.
The total number of graves within the cemetery is 2,137. More than half are Australian and 811 are British.
The graves, laid out between open stretches of lawn. are marked with the usual small square concrete head stones, inlaid with a bronze plaque. The area is set with tropical flowering trees and beautiful scrubs which also form a boundary around the cemetery.
Jakarta War Cemetery otherwise known as Djakarta War Cemetery or the local name of Makam Perang Jakarta.
The cemetery is accessed by several stone steps that lead directly into the Memorial building. Opposite the entrance is the old civilian cemetery which today takes the overflow of the local nearby market.
After the war this Commonwealth War Cemetery contained the graves of 474 servicemen. The acquisition of nearby land allowed the remains of those who had been buried at the Netherlands Field of Honour at Sourbaya, Palembang, Medan and Muntok in Sumatra to be brought to the Jakarta Cemetery, bringing the total number of graves up to 1,000, many of whom died defending Java and Sumatra against the Japanese in 1942.
The cemetery to-day consists of two main grassed paths, one north to south and the other east to west and the Cross of Sacrifice is located where these two paths cross.
The headstones, as in most other War Cemeteries, are small, tablet stones inset with bronze plaques. In common with other War Cemeteries a host of colourful native shrubs and plants can be found surrounded by sub-tropical trees.